Oy, have we got a bargain for you: two reviews for the price of one! First up is " The Yiddish Policemen's Union " by Michael Chabon. (My apologies to my large(ly imaginary) Jewish readers for my first line. I've never met anyone that talks like that, but I've seen them on tv and tv would never lie to me) Meyer Landsman is a detective in an alternative future where the Jewish homeland is in Alaska. He's investigating the murder of a heroin-addicted, chess-playing, deadbeat who may have been the Messiah. Or just a very naughty boy. Excellent writing, as always from Mr Chabon, that perfectly immerses you in Sitka, Alaska. A good plot, twisty and turny just like a good detective story should be. Loved it, great book. Next, Bradbury's classic collection of short stories, " The Illustrated Man ". I found this in the 50% off pile at Reader's Feast in Melbourne (thanks Tessa ). I don't think I'd have picked it up if it wasn't a bargain ...
Disturbing.
ReplyDeleteAre you entering that short story competition? I've read some of your early blog posts and they were excellent, surprisingly. I never had you down as a frustrated author. Frustrated alcoholic, frustrated millionaire, etc. certainly..
I think there's only about a week or so until the closing date. In that week or so I have to find the time to procrastinate over filling in my tax return (the whole country has to fill in a tax return over here, all at the same time - a ridiculous system), so I won't have any free time to procrastinate over writing a short story.
ReplyDeleteI have a long list of things to not get around to doing. It's very tiring maintaining it.
Oh, and also: aw, shucks, I ain't not nearly too good at writing the purdy words.
ReplyDelete