Tidying up

Eight years since I last posted on this blog, that I'd almost forgotten existed. Time to perform some digital necromancy, and see if I can resurrect this thing before Blogger gets turned off.

More than half the posts on here were done via Posterous - a service that no longer exists, so the posts themselves make little sense any more (no images if they were hosted on posterous, links that go nowhere). From what I remember, Posterous' big selling point was being able to send blog posts via email and have it do all the formatting and presentation for you. It would also then syndicate out that post to whatever other sources you wanted  - like Blogger, for instance, or Facebook. They got into the blogging business just as everyone moved onto social media, and they never worked out how to make any money. I'll go through and delete all the useless posts over the next few days.

So many online services are dead and gone (or dying), that at the time I thought were great. Remember trying to become the mayor of a coffee shop on Foursquare? That one apparently still exists. Shelfari? That one had a neat UI that looked like a bookshelf, but that's all I remember. Google Plus? Actually, that was pretty shit from the start. But I still miss Google Reader - such a shame they closed that down. Flickr is still going, which I'm surprised about. Only one person I know still puts their photos on there, so I don't know how much longer they'll be around, but I'll always be grateful for that site for making me a better photographer (not much better, but still). Oh, and delicious for storing and sharing bookmarks - that seemed pretty important at the time, but now I can't imagine why I'd want to use it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too much information

Running: Trailguru