Throne of jade

Quick review of the second of Naomi Novik's dragons and Hornblower mashups, "Temeraire: Throne of Jade". Good stuff, better than the first one, but there's still something missing for me.

Maybe it's the characters' constant worrying about manners and etiquette, or the occasional lapse in the dialogue where a British character uses an American phrase ("I must go see him now", instead of the more British "I must go and see him now", or "go to see him"). I'm nitpicking really, it was a good read but I've yet to read a tale of a long sea voyage that wasn't at least as dull as 7 months at sea. This was no exception to that rule, but worth sticking through to a cracking ending and a great set-up for the next book. If you liked the first Temeraire book, you'll enjoy this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too much information

Tidying up

Running: Trailguru