Leopard vs. Samba = Fight!

Previously on "Gareth's Geek Hour": our hero had battled with the NetInfo Manager in Mac OS 10.3 and succeeded in getting his ibook to automount a smb share on a networked storage device. Music streamed off the little box over the network, and there was much rejoicing. Disaster struck when subversion refused to work over a samba share. Our intrepid idiothero decided an upgrade to Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) was in order, believing it to have the solution to all life's problems...

Leopard is pretty, has some great new features, and seems a little snappier than Panther on my aging ibook. One problem: it has kicked my little automounted samba shares right in their wrinkled little happy sacks. They just don't work. They seemed to have been migrated from the NetInfo database into the local directory (/var/db/dslocal), because it would still try to automount them. Except it would lock up completely and need to be turned off with the power button whenever I connected to them. This was with the 10.5.1 version straight off the install DVD.

I upgraded to 10.5.2 via the software updater. Hoorah! No more lockups. No data though, either. smbclient could view the shares. Mounting them manually meant I could see the files in the Terminal, but Finder wouldn't have any of it. Thinking maybe I should be automounting the shares the new Leopard way, I removed the mounts from the dslocal directories and replaced them with /etc/fstab entries. Still no joy - finder would complain that an error occurred (error number -43) when browsing to the shares (although the shares themselves would appear in the Finder).

After considerable footling and much gnashing, I gave up. By the power of Greyskull, my NAS thing supports FTP access in addition to SMB, so I installed MacFUSE, and the GUI MacFusion. 15 minutes of configuring later, I was in business with an automounted ftp file system (handy hint: put "-odefer_permissions" in the advanced options field if you find you're having trouble accessing the files).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too much information

Running: Trailguru

Tidying up